Zevon’s Greatest Lines?
- “She only sleeps on planes” – Suzie Lightning; beautifully succinct and evocative.
- “A little old lady got mutilated late last night” – Werewolves Of London; fantastic staccato alliteration.
- “Some days I feel like my shadow’s casting me” – Dirty Life And Times; from his last album after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer.
- “Home is just a place to hang your head” – Things To Do In Denver When You’re Dead; take a cliche and bend it into something new and illuminating.
- “She’s so many women, He can’t find the one who was his friend” – Hasten Down The Wind.
- “No-one’s invested enough of themselves to yield to maturity” – Nobody’s In Love This Year; or nearly any other line from this tender ballad of love lost.
- “Send lawyers, guns and money. Dad, get me out of this” – Lawyers, Guns And Money.
- “Your face looked like something death brought with him in his suitcase” – The French Inhaler; you know you’re in trouble when…
- “The vast indifference of heaven” – The Indifference Of Heaven.
- “And if California slides into the ocean, Like the mystics and statistics say it will, I predict this motel will be standing, Until I pay my bill” – Desperados Under The Eaves
- “I went to the doctor, I said, ‘I’m feeling kind of rough’, ‘Let me break it to you son, Your shit’s fucked up’ ” – My Shit’s Fucked Up; yup.
- “Love conquers all, You can’t start it like a car, You can’t stop it with a gun” – Searching For A Heart.
And a runner-up…
- “When your grasp has exceeded your reach” – Fistful Of Rain; because I think he borrowed the line from John Ruskin, the English poet.
Suggestions, objections and contradictions welcome.